_ This article may be freely published in any e-zine, newsletter, newspaper, magazine, website, etc. as long as my name and bio remain in tact. Please send me a link when you run my work. Just be sure to NOT edit them in any way and to always INCLUDE the credit line at the bottom. Copyright laws apply!
12.5 Public Speaking Tips
_ by June Van Klaveren
As the new year begins, it's always good to set some goals for the year. If you haven't done public speaking, make it a goal this year!
One of the best activities to promote your business is to speak in public. As I regularly listen to various public speakers, I've put together a list of tips for speakers. Here they are:
1. Do not stand in front of the projector so the image is projected on your forehead! Stand to the side.
2. Tame stage fright with these proven techniques.
3. Plan what you'll say, but don't memorize.
4. Determine to include three take-away messages and focus your presentation around them.
5. Develop a keepable handout that contains your take-away messages.
6. Develop AV that supports your message whether it's a PowerPoint program or props.
7. Avoid transitions and animations in PowerPoint. Too much is very distracting.
8. Rehearse, tape, review, improve.
9. While speaking, don't move around the stage without a reason.
10. Make frequent eye contact with your audience.
11. Actively seek speaking engagements where you can talk about your company or your industry.
12. Don't wear your nametag while you speak.
12.5 Use humor.
June Van Klaveren, owner of Compelling Communications, helps her clients attract and keep customers. To contact her, call 800-779-0067 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.