1) No fresh content. If you want to encourage repeat visitors, you must have a section that constantly changes.
2) No Call to action. Tell your visitors what you want them to do with a “can’t miss it” bright call to action!
3) Talks about me, me, me. Visitors want to know what you can do for them, not about how wonderful your company is.
4) Difficult to read. If type is too small with little spacing between lines, it is difficult to read and visitors will leave.
5) No relevant graphics. Graphics should be both eye-catching and relevant to the focus of the site.
6) No focus. If you focus on helping your customers, your web site should focus on the same thing.
7) Not optimized for mobile viewing. More and more web visitors do so on their smart phones, so be sure to test your site on a mobile device.
8) Poor description. When you Google a topic, the sentence about each site that shows up in the search results is the description. Write your description full of benefit statements!
9) Not optimized with fast-loading graphics. Huge, non-optimized graphics bog down the site causing it to load very slowly. A Jupiter Research survey found that 33% of broadband shoppers are unwilling to wait more than four seconds for a web page to load. (Akamai 2006).
10) No subheads to enable scanning. If you think about the way you view a site, you probably scan subheads – so use subheads generously on your site so someone can scan the site and “get” the main idea!
10.5) No easily found contact information. Your phone number should be boldly displayed in the header of each page to enable visitors to quickly find it and call you!
If you want to know how your site is doing, you can set up an account at LuckyOrange.com where you can track the pages your visitors spend time on. (Free trial account for 7 days.)
What you can do right now: email me with your website address and I’ll give it a quick review and let you know anything I see that needs fixing right away!
June Van Klaveren helps companies market their products and services and can be reached at 800-779-0067 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.