There are several reasons for the fact that your customers don’t refer your company.
- There is nothing about your service that makes them want to talk about you.
- Your service is not top of mind when your customers hear people say they need pest control.
- Your customers may be embarrassed to let their friends know they have a pest problem.
- Well-intentioned recommenders may still get your message entirely wrong or characterize you so narrowly that a potential client won't consider you.
- Think your business is too boring to talk about? According to research, products or brands are categorized as interesting when they are novel, exciting, surprising or violate expectations.
- Do the extras – check for structural defects that may encourage insect entry and let the customer know what you find. If you found nothing, let them know you checked.
- Personality counts! My pest control technician is friendly, knows my family, knows my home and is genuinely concerned about any pest problems we might have. He shows enthusiasm for what he’s doing and the results he achieves. I’ve referred him numerous times (Jeff Vogelsang – Vogelsang Pest Management).
- Over-the-top customer service will produce referrals! Have a brainstorming session at your company about the extra things you can do that take little time, but impress a customer.
- Communicate with your customers about all the services you provide. If they’ve hired you to take care of Carpenter bees, they may think that’s all you do. A simple card listing all your services handed out each service solves that problem.
Remember to track the source of new customers to determine the results of your word-of-mouth efforts.
Though referrals result in a big percentage of your annual income, what are you doing to generate more referrals?
June Van Klaveren owns Compelling Communications, Inc., a marketing firm specializing in helping pest control companies market their services. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org, 636-394-4148. http://www.HowToMarketPestControl.com