April 27th, 2011 | Author: JuneV As you’ve read from me before, companies spend thousands trying to attract new customers and do very little to actively maintain current customers or awaken their sleeping giants – those customers who just disappear without explanation. They leave for a variety of reasons, many of which you cannot control but many leave because they haven’t heard from you. Perhaps something happened and they expected an apology or explanation and didn’t receive it. These sleeping giants represent significant dollars in lost business – directly or through missed referrals from them.
So what can you do to awaken these big guys? The number one way: KEEP IN TOUCH WITH THEM. Here are some “keep-in-touch”ideas.
- Send them something – an article, an email, a promotional item.
- Connect with them on social media. Search for them and “friend” them.
- Email a personal message – not a sales message – about a seasonal problem you solve or ideas they can use.
- Mail a “we want you back” postcard with a special offer just for them. ((Link))
- Send a survey that will reveal why they left.
- Create a loyalty program that will reward them for coming back. (Include a % off their first new purchase, offer something free with their first purchase, etc.)
Whatever you do, take action NOW!