But, is relying on a family member to do your marketing the best idea? Consider this. . . .
- Your brother-in-law has a job and would be working on your marketing in his “spare time.” This limits his accessibility to you during working hours and he may not be available when you need him if there’s a problem.
- Do you really want to depend on someone learning to build web sites to produce a money-making site for you? Enough said!
- What if your sister and brother-in-law’s status changed? Divorce? New baby? This would certainly impact your marketing.
- You never really know a person until you work/live with them. Your brother-in-law may seem like a nice guy but maybe he doesn’t have a sense of urgency about his spare time projects. Or maybe he’s a closet procrastinator. And, because you’re a relative, he may not feel the pressure to spend his spare time on your projects.
- It’s really difficult to fire a relative! I’ve talked with companies whose web site was built by a relative and they are frustrated because they can’t convince the relative to spend time updating the site. But because he’s a relative, they hate to cause a problem in the family. So the site goes on without updates and soon, it’s listed on the 49th page of Google!