I challenge you to imagine what would happen if you ACTIVELY sought referrals! Would you have more business than you could handle? Maybe, but that’s a good problem to have. Remember, more customers mean more referrals.
So what can you do TODAY to encourage more referrals? Here are some ideas.
- Ask customers for feedback after every experience they have with your company before or after the sale. Few companies do this and it will show you care about what your customers think.
- Do something unique and so well that customers will want to share with their friends. For example, some companies email a picture of the technician to the customer before each service so the customer knows who to expect. It’s the little things that count.
- Encourage customers to follow your company (or personal) facebook page. That way they will feel they “know” you on a more personal level.
- Make it easy for customers to refer you. Put a “Refer” button on your web site and link it to a prepopulated form that they can write in a few notes and click send.
- Start your own referral program. The Dollar Shave Club gives a free month’s worth of blades for each customer that is referred to them. They get 50,000 new customers a month with this program. Their promotion states, “Earn a free month for every friend you sign up. 1000 friends gets you 83 years of free blades. . .and if you live longer than that – bravo – we’ll be happy to keep sending.” Could you offer one free service to your customers for every referral who becomes a customer and translate that into the number of free services they could get?
- Offer an attractive incentive. Offer tickets to concerts, movies, sports events to anyone who refers someone to you that becomes a customer.
- Write a hand-written thank you note and mention that your business grows by referrals. Ask for referrals.