You’ve probably spent a ton of money to win the customers you have. But you may be overlooking a treasure chest of business potential in your own customer list or database. Your existing customers are a resource that needs constant nurturing; if you do it systematically, you will power up your sales and profits to a degree that can be absolutely astonishing. The cost of nurturing, compared to the cost of going out after new customers, is much lower!
After 17 years in business, I don’t understand why many business people don’t recognize the importance of their customer list or database.
Here’s what you can do to keep in touch with customers. (Remember, the key is regularity!)
- Thank you notes
- Phone call
- Birthday message/card
- Catching up over coffee, lunch or dinner
- Formal meetings once a month
- Sending the latest joke, funny video or new music release
- Radom Email about latest events or news that could affect them or their business
- Video chat
- Hand written note
- How was your week phone call?
- Quarterly catch up or phone call on what is working well and what can we improve on
June Van Klaveren owns Compelling Communications, Inc. where she helps companies market their products and services. If you publish a publication and would like to use this article, you are free to do so with the above credit line.